Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What should we do with the garbage we pick up?
A: Please use the Spring Up bags provided. Here are some different options for what to do with the garbage:
1) Put the garbage in your own bin.
2) Spring Up bags may be put out for curbside pick-up without affecting the bag limit.
3) Use your landfill pass (if requested) to take the garbage out to the Solid Waste & Recycling Facility at 5405 Mapleward Rd. There is no charge if you submit your pass.
4) Some companies make arrangements with a local hauler to provide a bin and pick-up for the event.
5) Contact Jennifer at 624-2142 or ecosuperior%23org|jennifer to arrange special pick-up by City of Thunder Bay Waste Management. Pick-up will be arranged for large clean-ups and larger items (ex. tires). This may require bringing the bags or items to a central, visible location (within a short distance) for pickup.
Q: What should we do with the recycling?
A: Please use the blue or clear bag(s) provided for recyclables. In the case of workplaces, these items may be added to your workplace’s recycling or taken home by a staff member for curbside pick-up. For other clean-ups, please use the City's recycling depots or put the recycling out for curbside pick-up on your regular collection day.
Q: What if we find a very large item (tires, shopping carts, car parts, etc.)?
A: If you can safely move the item to a location for pick-up, please do so. Alternatively, please make a detailed note describing the location of the item. In either case, please contact Jennifer at 624-2142 or ecosuperior%23org|jennifer to arrange for a special pick-up. If you find a shopping cart that is still in usable condition, please call 211 to report it. This information is made available to stores to help facilitate their return. If it is not picked up, a call to the store should help.
Q: What do we do if we find a needle?
A: Do not touch it - leave the needle where it is. If possible, cover it with a hard object (i.e. a container) and mark the spot so it will be easy to find again. Make a detailed description of where the needle is located. Call Superior Points at 625-8831 or 625-7996 and they will arrange for removal. Please Note: For the health and safety of your community and sanitation workers, used needles are not accepted in the garbage or recyclables (Contact City of Thunder Bay, Waste Management Division at 625-2195 for more information).
Q: 10 am is not a good time for our workplace to do the 20-Minute Makeover. Can we do it at a different time? Or what if it rains?
A: Though it is great to have people out cleaning up at the same time, if this time doesn’t work, you are definitely welcome to complete the clean-up when it is most convenient, and the weather is fair.
Q: Can we do our cleanup outside of May?
A: Yes. Some groups prefer to coordinate their cleanups at the same time as Earth Day or Earth Week. We will extend the same support (gloves, waste disposal, draw prizes, public recognition).
Q: Can time spent on my Spring Up clean-up be counted as community service hours?
A: Yes - be sure to bring all necessary paperwork and have an authorized person (ex. a teacher) sign your community service credit papers.
Thank you for helping make Thunder Bay clean, green and beautiful!
Page last updated on Friday, April 26, 2013