"The presence of litter in a community decreases property values by 7%"
(Litter in America: 2009 National Litter Research Findings and Recommendations)
Few things detract from a City’s appearance more than litter. Discarded coffee cups, fast-food and candy wrappers, and cigarette butts send a message to citizens and visitors alike that there is a lack of pride. Numerous studies have been done about the root causes of littering, sources, consequences and solutions. See below for some background information, as well as tips, programs, and tools we can all use to help make Thunder Bay clean, green and litter-free.
Check out Thunder Bay's first Anti-Litter Video Contest Winners
- Cleaning Up
- Litter Prevention Tips
- Organize a Litter Free & Green Event
- More Resources
- The lack of a sense of ownership, even in public property.
- The belief that someone else will pick up after them (i.e. park maintenance or highway worker)
- The presence of existing litter sends a message that littering is acceptable.
- Inadequate waste/recycling bins.
- Occasionally, littering is accidental.
- Pedestrians and motorists
- Poorly maintained or secured dumpsters or waste bins used by businesses
- Household waste handling and improper containment at curb
- Trucks with uncovered loads
- Construction and demolition sites
- Loading docks
- Special events/festivals
- Tax dollars are spent on clean-up efforts, money which could be directed to other services.
- The presence of litter has been proven to reduce property values, as noted above.
- Businesses are less likely to move into an area that lacks pride in its appearance.
- Sends a negative message to citizens and visitors, indicating a lack of pride, and/or that it is acceptable to litter.
- Litter is harmful to wildlife and water systems. Cigarette butts, plastic bags and other items are mistaken for food; while fishing line, strapping from shipments, and six-pack rings entangle birds and other animals. Cigarette butts contain toxic chemicals which are harmful to fish.
Engaging people in litter clean-ups is a great opportunity to raise their awareness about litter as an issue, and to increase their commitment to prevent litter. Since one of the strongest contributors to littering is the prevalence of existing litter, on-going clean-up and beautification efforts are very important, at least until the time that littering is no longer a problem.
Spring Up to Clean Up (Each year in May)
Adopt-a-Road - call 474-4834 (City of Thunder Bay Roads Division)
Adopt-a-Park - call Thunder Bay Parks Division at 625-2351
Great Canadian Shoreline Clean-Up (Each year in September)
Provide ample and convenient litter and recycling bins, as well as cigarette receptacles at key transition points and gathering areas.
Outdoor Ashtray Suppliers in Thunder Bay
Litter Prevention is up to all of us. Here are some ways to stop litter before it hits the ground.
Create and enforce by-laws to address litter in the community.
We have two posters about cigarette litter. Feel free to download them:
This is Litter Too (pdf)
Let's work together to make a clean, green and beautiful Thunder Bay!
EcoSuperior would like to acknowledge the support of Thunder Bay's Clean, Green and Beautiful Committee for making our litter prevention programs possible.
Page last updated on Tuesday, July 03, 2012