Rain Garden Rebate Program 2017: Newly expanded to include businesses and institutions
Install a rain garden on your residential, institutional or commercial property and you may be eligible for a rebate up to $500 for plants and supplies.
To qualify for a rebate, participants must:
1) Install a rain garden on a residential property in the City of Thunder Bay or on a commercial/institutional property between Thunder Bay east to Marathon
2) Attend a Rain Garden Workshop hosted by EcoSuperior. Click here to register*
*Those who are unable to attend the workshop can opt to complete online training (details TBA).
3) Fill out a Rain Garden Rebate application form provided by our staff. EcoSuperior will provide a rain garden site visit to approve the project and answer any questions. Our staff will also take "before" photos.
4) If approved, install your rain garden.
5) Book a follow-up rain garden site visit with EcoSuperior to complete program evaluation forms.
6) Submit your receipts for approved expenses to receive reimbursement by cheque, up to $500.
What expenses are eligible for the Rain Garden Rebate?
- Perennial plants (at least 50 percent must be wildflowers or native plant species)
- Soil amendments (sand, compost, low-clay topsoil)
- Gravel or rock
- Edging (flagstone or other pavers, metal, plastic)
- Other pre-approved expenses
The 2017 rebate covers expenses up to $500.
The 2017 Rain Garden Rebate Program is funded by the City of Thunder Bay, the Ontario Ministry of Environment and Climate Change, and delivered by EcoSuperior.
What is a rain garden?
A rain garden is a landscaped depression that will soak up rainwater runoff from the roof of a house or garage, or other hard surface like a parking area. The rainwater is absorbed into the soil instead of flowing into a storm drain that empties into our local streams. Rain gardens are often planted with wildflowers or other plants that provide homes and food for birds and insects.
Rain gardens absorb rainwater, so they can help:
Local rain garden, shortly after installation.