Once you’ve purchased your composter, you’re ready to start reducing your carbon footprint! Below we created a guide to help you maintain your compost.
- Find a sunny, shady spot to place your composter near your home, so you can easily access it during the winter
- Add brown and green waste to your compost as they are collected. Make sure they are chopped or shredded into smaller pieces, to ensure efficient degradation (see our Composting 101 guide above, for reference)
- Moisten dry materials when added
- Using tools such as pitchforks, shovels, and watering-hoses are helpful to maintain regular mixing, turning, and watering for compost upkeep
- When the material at the bottom of your compost resembles soil, your compost is ready to use in your garden! The composting process can take anywhere from 2 months to a year to be complete.