Recycling in Thunder Bay
According to your waste collection calendar, curbside recycling collection happens on the same day of the week, every two weeks. There is no limit on the number of items you can recycle, however, the items allowed within the bags are limited. Please pay attention to the contents allowed within each bag for curbside recycling:
BAG ONE = Paper
- Junk mail
- Fine paper
- Paper food & beverage cartons (i..e., egg cartons)
- Boxboard (i.e., cereal boxes)
All corrugated cardboard must be flattened and should be tied securely. These items do not require to be bagged for curbside pickup.
BAG TWO: Plastics, Metal, & Carton Containers
- ALL type #1 through #7 plastic containers
- Pop cans
- Milk cartons
- Juice boxes
- Metal cans
- Glass bottles and jars
*Note: All plastics, metals, and cartons must be cleaned in order for recycling to be accepted.
How to Reduce Your Waste:
Refusing, reducing, and reusing items are excellent ways to reduce waste! Before you put something in the recycling or garbage, try to repair or reuse the item. Recycling, donating, and disposing of should be only considered as the last options.
- Know what items should go into your recycling bins
- Buy only what you need, use all that you buy
- Buy in bulk
- Try to eliminate excess packaging by buying low-waste