Testing for Radon
Long-term test kits Radon test kits are available at EcoSuperior for $50. These kits are the most accurate way to test your home, and are available for purchase here. Prices include lab fees and return postage. Order online & contactless-ly grab your kit during one of our curb-side pick-up hours.
Using the Kit
- The unit should be placed in the lowest level of your home, which is occupied for 4 or more hours per day.
- Tests should be conducted in a location that is representative of the air that you breathe most often (i.e., your bedroom night table, or living room.)
- When the testing period is over, place the unit and the data tracking sheet in the pre-paid postage envelope and mail to the laboratory. Test results will be sent to you by email or return mail.
- Do not move the device for the duration of the test.
- The unit should be left undisturbed for 90-365 days.
- Please contact our office if you have any questions about radon or your radon test results.
- A Radon Mitigation Demonstration room at our office offers additional information.
Radon Testers for Loan
Several libraries in Northwestern Ontario have Digital Radon Detectors available for loan. These include the following locations:
- Thunder Bay Public Libraries
- Oliver Paipoonge Public Libraries
- Nipigon Public Library
- Red Rock Public Library
- Dorion Public Library
- Marathon Public Library
Prefer to have a professional conduct your test? Contact one of the C-NRPP certified measurement professionals in Thunder Bay below:
- Canada Radon (807) 788-3245 | email@example.com
- EXP Services Inc. (807) 623-9495 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- First General Services (807) 623-1276 | email@example.com
- Northern Home Designs (807) 344-4567 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Radon Safe Northwest Ltd. (807) 626-3049 | email@example.com
- SASI Water (807) 622-8880 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- TBT Engineering (807) 624-5160 | email@example.com
- Stantec (807) 626-5640 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Home Hardware has certified, long-term radon test kits available for individuals who live outside of the Thunder Bay region. Click here to order for pick-up in-store. We recommend checking the device's expiration date prior to purchase.
You’ve Received Your Test Results. Now What?
Radon is measured in Becquerels per cubic meter. Health Canada's guideline states that homes should not exceed 200 Bq/m3.
Health Canada recommends that homes with a long-term average between 200-600 Bq/m3 should be fixed within two years, and that homes with a long-term average above 600 Bq/m3 should be fixed within 1 year. Note that other jurisdictions may have different guidelines in place. The US Environmental Protection Agency's guideline is 150 Bq/m3, and the World Health Organization's guideline is 100 Bq/m3. Some homeowners with levels around 100-200 Bq/m3 choose to reduce their radon levels, especially if solutions are easy and cheap.
Fixing Your Home
Interested in learning more about radon gas in your home, or how to reduce your exposure in the workplace? EcoSuperior is honoured to host Radon Awareness Workshops for members of the public, healthcare, municipal, library, and First Nations professionals! Click below to learn more.