Reducing the amount of waste you create is an easy way to help make a difference in both our environment and your life.
Whether you're at home, on the go, in the office, or at school- we’ve got several educational resources, initiatives, and programs to help get you started every October. This year, help us celebrate the 22nd anniversary of Waste Reduction Week in Canada happening from October 16 - 22, 2023!
- Waste reduction themed classroom presentations
- Repair Cafe - Saturday, October 21st - Get more details here!
- Compost Workshop - Wednesday, October 25th - Click here to register!
- EcoSuperior Facebook & Instagram educational trivia (with great local prizes!)
- Pumpkin Parade - Wednesday, November 1st at Hillcrest Park from 6:00pm - 7:30pm. Bring your jack-o-lanterns to light up the park or just come enjoy the display! All pumpkins will be composted afterwards.
- The Great Pumpkin Compost Collection - November 1st - 10th ~ see details below
- & so much more!
We have FREE waste reduction class presentations available in the month of October. Click to sign up your class! Select Waste Reduction Week in the form options.
Great Pumpkin Compost Collection
November 1st - 10th
When you think of Halloween, all sorts of fun and spooky things come to mind: trick or treating, creative costumes, and Jack-o-Lanterns of course! When the Halloween fun is done, remember to put Jack in the Box, not in the trash. Since the collection began in 1995, nearly 400 metric tonnes of pumpkins have been diverted from the landfill to the municipal composting facility.
*Please remember to remove all candles and other non-compostable items before tossing in the bin!
- County Fair Plaza on Dawson Road
- Intercity Shopping Centre overflow lot (887 Fort William Rd - beside The Whole Nine Yards)
- Westfort Playfield on Neebing Avenue
- Wednesday, November 1st at Hillcrest Park from 6:00pm - 7:30pm. Bring your jack-o-lanterns to light up the park, or just come enjoy the display! All pumpkins will be composted afterwards.