Over 28% of the waste we throw away is food scraps! When this waste goes to the landfill, it begins to break down in the absence of oxygen, creating harmful methane gas (CH4) instead of carbon dioxide (CO2). Methane is a much more powerful greenhouse gas than CO2, which contributes to the climate crisis.
Instead of throwing your scraps to the landfill, you can compost them to:
- Recycle the food waste into nitrogen-rich garden soil
- Help your garden retain moisture,
- Reduce the need for chemical fertilizers,
- Encourage the production of beneficial bacteria,
- Reduce methane emissions,
- & Lower your carbon footprint!