Water Rebates & Subsidies
The City of Thunder Bay offers financial incentives to install household drainage improvements through the Residential Drainage Rebate Program.
City homeowners may qualify for a rebate toward:
- Sump pumps
- Backwater valves
- The disconnection of weeping tile systems from city sanitary sewer services
- & the installation of a new storm sewer connection
Please review the required program details and eligibility requirements in the documents below. Ensure applications are submitted as soon as possible. Rebates are allocated on a first-come, first-served basis and available until funding is expended.
- Drainage Rebate Application Form
- Program Brochure including eligibility requirements
- Participating Plumbers list
- Household Drainage Improvement Manual
- Completed application form
- Original receipts for contractor labour and materials
- A copy of the City of Thunder Bay inspection report
Rebate amounts are listed in the program brochure. Household water accounts and taxes must be in good standing in order for the rebate to be processed. Please note that we are currently not offering home visits due to health and safety concerns related to COVID-19.
*Non-profit organizations (such as churches or co-op housing), homeowners who qualify for the City of Thunder Bay Property Tax and Water Credit Programs (for Low-Income Seniors and Low-Income Persons with Disabilities), are eligible for additional rebates up to 80% of the invoiced cost of the work completed.
- Must be an existing single-family residential or multi-unit home;
- Downspouts are properly disconnected from City sewer systems;
- A licensed participating plumber must be hired to install the backwater valve and a qualified contractor to undertake all other work, See the Participating Plumbers list.
- Building permits and approved inspections must be obtained for associated work.
Rain Garden Rebate
Click Here to Learn More About Our Rain Garden Rebate Program